Subject: Re: [Leica] Dropped my M6!
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 17:59:04 -0500

- --------------6FBAB2CF7E4EF36A84574178

Donal Philby wrote:
SCHNIP

> My usual trick is to set down the camera on table with sync cord
> attached and then either I or assistant or client snags it and pulls
> camera onto (always) concrete factory floor.  I guess that is an
> argument for a radio slave.  But I'm old fashioned and haven't budgeted
> $1000 for multiple recievers and transmitters.

I usually do this with my light meters. Cord plugged in and ready to be
tripped over.

SNIP

> Twice I've had the slow motion experience of watching $1500 monoblock
> lights at the top of 13 foot stands get snagged by someone and crash
> onto concrete floors.

 SNIP

I think almost all my lightheads have some sort of dent or ding to them.
Most of my umbrellas have a bent rib when the light lands on them. I
ruined more than my share of softbox ribs. And spent a fortune in
modeling light replacements. I've been fortunate so far in that I've yet
to destroy or render inoperable a flash tube or head. One thing that
I've started to do is put a strip of day-glo orange tape on each of my
lightstand legs and a band about eye-level so that the visually
challenged might notice them. It may not prevent them from being tripped
over but that, coupled with taped cords, helps demonstrate that I've at
least taken measures to limit any negligence. From there my insurance
agent and attorney can fight it.

Carl Socolow
- --------------6FBAB2CF7E4EF36A84574178

begin:vcard