Subject: Re: [Leica] new non-leica M-mount rangefinders?
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@ms.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 10:40:33 +0900

Robert L. Clark wrote:

> >Recently I have read
> >assorted rumors that companies like Ricoh, Konica, and Cosina have
> >plans to introduce rangefinders compatible with Leica M lenses.
> >
> >Is there any truth to the rumor that these companies are producing
> >M-mount bodies? Does anyone know of a place where I could get more
> >information about this?
> >

> Does anyone have any real scoop on this?

Rumour mode on.

After Yasuhara proved that there was a significant interest for
inexpensive, screwmount rangefinder cameras, companies mentioned above
have apparently decided to produce competitive models.

Cosina, which already manufactures inexpensive OEM SLRs for Olympus,
Nikon and many others is rumoured to release a rangefinder body and
lenses.  Hoya, which recently bought the Voigtlander name from Samsung,
will release two lenses: 15mm and 25mm.  The former is said to be far
superior to Hologon, and will be far less expensive.  More screwmount
lenses are on their way.

I was informed that Map Camera in Shinjuku is now starting to take
reservations, so I will go there tonight to check them out.