Subject: Re: [Leica] new non-leica M-mount rangefinders?
From: Dominique PELLISSIER <pelliss@droit-eco.univ-nancy2.fr>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:38:21 +0100

At 10:40 12/01/99 +0900, Ken Iisaka wrote :

After Yasuhara proved that there was a significant interest for
inexpensive, screwmount rangefinder cameras, companies mentioned above have
apparently decided to produce competitive models.
Cosina, which already manufactures inexpensive OEM SLRs for Olympus,Nikon
and many others is rumoured to release a rangefinder body and lenses.
Hoya, which recently bought the Voigtlander name from Samsung,will release
two lenses: 15mm and 25mm.  The former is said to be far
superior to Hologon, and will be far less expensive.  More screwmount
lenses are on their way.
I was informed that Map Camera in Shinjuku is now starting to take
reservations, so I will go there tonight to check them out.

#######################
Yup, is it true bill or make-believe ?
I think it's make-believe. I saw Yasuhara's website and my conclusion is
that Mr Yasuhara is an amusing person.
For instance he writes : "I am thinking not only about the licensing
problems but about the Leica company itself. Some person told me the
patents have run out on the Leica M mount and some Japanese camera makers
are now planning to release new M mount cameras. Straightly to say, it must
be very easy for every Japanese camera makers to make much advanced, more
cheap M mount cameras compared with Leica M seriese. But how about the
position of Leica company? Will Japanese camera makers kill another maker
again? If we can find enough reason we should make M mount cameras, we will
think about it. But we will never make M mount camera with the reason the
patents have run out".

That's not serious. If I were a manager with such a camera project, the
first thing would be to inform myself about the Leica patents ! Yasuhara
does not know if the patent on the M mount still runs !! The answer is yes
according to Chasseur d'images (n°210, p. 14). I read elsewhere on the LUG
:"The patent on the Leica M mount expired in '73.(Marc)".I know that it is
always possible to prolong a patent. How ? I have no time to begin a
research on the subject.

Dominique Pellissier