Subject: Re: [Leica] standardize: But what?
From: "Joe Stephenson" <joeleica@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 19:35:01 -0700

Mark,
Thanks for your interesting and thoughtful response. I standardize on film:
almost everything is done APX100 processed in Rodinol 50:1 for 17 min at 20
degrees C. I meter carefully, and can usually make a working print at f8 on
#2 paper with a 10 second (+/- 10 percent) exposure. Then the fun starts.
You can spend a lot of time on  a single negative in working to make the
best possible print from it. Cameras may take pictures, but they are made in
the darkroom. (slide are different)

Unlike you, I have many different kinds of paper and take delight in
matching paper to image. Very interesting, and it opens a nice avenue of
image presentation and control. Sometimes I don't use a particular paper for
months, and then think of it for a particular negative and dig it out.

All of this just goes to show how differently we do and view our work. Like
you, I am eager to hear what others have to say.
Cheers,
Joe Stephenson
+++++++++++
Mark wrote:
Thanks for addressing this thread. I am studying your reply. I'm
realizing more-so that it is thought provoking at least for me. Just
what is it that what should be standardized and what gets thrown into
the sea of chance. I'm going to do my paragraph or two on it next week.
What are your constants? I ask the group. Or do you have any? Mine is my
paper, I have always stuck with multigrade, usually fiber glossy,
sometimes rc. When I deviate, I regret.
Today a bought a hundred sheet box of the chocolate for the first time.
If it's not the Greatest thing since Cassias Clay I'll bite it.
Mark Rabiner