Subject: [Leica] (Off topic) Kodak Retina or Retinette
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:05:14 +0000

>>Doesn't ANYBODY own a Kodak Retina or Retinette ?
>>
>>Always wondered how they performed and were like
>>in real life use.
>>
>>AJQ

I have used both the Retina IIa and IIc, the latter sporting a Schneider
50/2.8 Xenon lens.  I found the IIc better built and so I sold the IIa
which actually has a 50/2 lens.

The IIc, I am told, was made in the mid-50s and is one cute camera.  In my
experience, when this folding camera is opened up to reveal the lens
sticking out with its bellows, I am more likely to make people's eyeballs
pop out of their sockets than with my IIIf.   Friends cannot believe that
this actually still works.

The pictures are one of the best that I have ever seen.   The colour pics
are superb.  My wife has given instructions NEVER to sell this camera
because she likes the pics that it produces so much.   The pics have that
sort of roundness (very nice spherical aberration, I think) which is most
pleasing to look at.

When folded, it sits snugly in the vest pocket. What more can I say?

Dan K.