Subject: Re: [Leica] pocket camera Matchbox Leica
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 14:53:15 +0000

At 09:36 PM 1/11/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Matchbox Leica!!!!
>Mine happens to be a 3.5 Zeiss tessar from the first year, made in
>Germany. By get an old one I meant original type not classic with the
>hot shoe on the bottom, not top like the Classic. Like Classic Coke,
>watered down.
>By the way this week I read that then Summicron is a copy of a Tessar.
>I'm not sure if there were any underhandedness in it, I assume not but I
>assume what ever went on was par for the course.

That cannot be right! If you look at diagrams of the Tessar and the
Summicron, they are totally different designs with different numbers of
elements and diffferent maximum apertures. More likely is the Elmar, which
is so similar to the Tessar design that one might conceivably consider it
to be a copy, but with the diaphragm moved to a different position.

>Wouldn't your camera go smashing into something around your neck,
>pendulum effect?
>Mark Rabiner

Well it doesn't swing around any more than any other camera worn on a
neckstrap.

Joe Berenbaum