Subject: Re: [Leica] Preconceived pictures
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 21:15:26 -0500

- --------------FFFDF7AA39258BC01A13103C

> christer almqvist wrote:
>
> >What about you: are your pictures planned/preconceived or not? Does it make
> >them better or not?>>>>>>>>

Christopher,

I worked on two assignments today. The first was an environmental
portrait of a state university alumnus who is co-owner of a fitness gym.
The public relations people at the school wanted a photo that could be
used on their magazine cover (hence a vertical), shot on medium-format
transparency film showing the subject in relation to his business.
Because of these parameters I approached the shoot with several
preconceptions. First was that I would use strobes that were gelled to
match the existing fluorescent lighting and then filter at the camera
with a complementary magenta filter. Second, because I knew I would need
slow shutter speeds (1/2 sec.) to allow ambient light exposure to record
I used a tripod. This really means you're previsualizing because
lighting and tripod placement demand an idea going in.

My second assignment is part of a project that I have been involved with
and asked to coordinate among seven other area photographers. We're
photographing individuals who are mentally retarded for an organization
that offers them services. These will then be used in a display and
series of booklets and brochures marking this organization's 25th
anniversary.

The person I am photographing is a ten-year old boy who has Downe's
Syndrome and is autistic. I have been using one Leica body loaded with
TMax 400 and another with TMax 3200 rated at 1600. For this there are no
preconceptions, no previsualization; only being as in touch with my
emotions as is humanly possible and trusting in my skills and technique
and intuition to make photographs that communicate the dignity,
triumphs, failures and day-to-day experiences that this child calls his
life.

In summation, each demands their own strategy and approach. There are no
absolutes.

Carl Socolow
- --------------FFFDF7AA39258BC01A13103C

begin:vcard