Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V6 #13
From: Peter Niessen <niessen@ifh.de>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 08:58:58 +0100 (MET)

Dear LUGgers,

I think I should apologize for not researching about Leica  lens
mounting patents before conveying my ignorance to the subject.

However, I agree with Dominique that these rumours about new M
compatibles are indeed rumours. Let's make a market research: Would
you buy a compatible rather than a second hand genuine? I would not.
(At least without specifications.)

Furthermore, what features should this device have? Let's look what's
possible:

	Feature

	Auto Focus		<- I dont want
	Automatic exposure,	<- Nice, but you can live without
	programs

	Diverse Schnickschnack (priniting exposure data, data backs,
		alarm clock, microwave oven in the space between lens
		and shutter, camera beeps when you whistle (if you
		don't know where you left it), ...)

I think, the ,,modern'' Leica would come out to be a contax G2 (which
I do not have _any_ experience with). For the price of a single Leica
M6 body (DEM 4500,-) you already get this G2 offer, complete with
28mm, 45mm and 90mm, which is all you want (basically) for DEM 5000,-.
I think then no one who wants a ,,modern'' camera would buy a
compatible.

I do not see the market for a M compatible.

Cheers, Peter.