Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V6 #13
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:44:00 +0100

Peter,

Obviously, different features are important to different people. For
instance, I would not want an M6-compatible that had autofocus or relied
on electronics for basic operations. Likewise, the improvement in flash
functionality with the new TTL models is worthless to me, as I never use
flash on the M6. On the other hand, I would instantly jump on an M6 body
with spot metering. I would also strongly consider a body with an expanded
range of shutter speeds (e.g. from 1/2000 or 1/4000 to 15 sec.), or one
with a built-in self-timer like the M3. Given that the main motivation for
many people are the lenses, there is clearly a market for an M6
compatible; the question is whether this market is big enough to make a
credible business case for the Japanese giants. So far that apparently has
not been the case.

Nathan

Peter Niessen wrote:

> Dear LUGgers,
>
> I think I should apologize for not researching about Leica  lens
> mounting patents before conveying my ignorance to the subject.
>
> However, I agree with Dominique that these rumours about new M
> compatibles are indeed rumours. Let's make a market research: Would
> you buy a compatible rather than a second hand genuine? I would not.
> (At least without specifications.)
>
> Furthermore, what features should this device have? Let's look what's
> possible:
>
>         Feature
>
>         Auto Focus              <- I dont want
>         Automatic exposure,     <- Nice, but you can live without
>         programs
>
>         Diverse Schnickschnack (priniting exposure data, data backs,
>                 alarm clock, microwave oven in the space between lens
>                 and shutter, camera beeps when you whistle (if you
>                 don't know where you left it), ...)
>
> I think, the ,,modern'' Leica would come out to be a contax G2 (which
> I do not have _any_ experience with). For the price of a single Leica
> M6 body (DEM 4500,-) you already get this G2 offer, complete with
> 28mm, 45mm and 90mm, which is all you want (basically) for DEM 5000,-.
> I think then no one who wants a ,,modern'' camera would buy a
> compatible.
>
> I do not see the market for a M compatible.
>
> Cheers, Peter.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium