Subject: Re: [Leica] New M
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 06:30:23 +0000

>Peter wrote:
>>I think, the ,,modern'' Leica would come out to be a contax G2 (which
>>I do not have _any_ experience with). For the price of a single Leica
>>M6 body (DEM 4500,-) you already get this G2 offer, complete with
>>28mm, 45mm and 90mm, which is all you want (basically) for DEM 5000,-.
>>I think then no one who wants a ,,modern'' camera would buy a
>>compatible.
>>
>>I do not see the market for a M compatible.

After acquiring a G2 and using it for a few months, I am of the impression
that the M and the G2 cameras are complementary.  There are times which I
would like to be spoilt by the AF and TTL of the G2.  Somehow I have found
that, with the AF of the G2 during quick shooting of people at parties, I
get a tad higher percentage of sharp pics.  The TTL with the TLA200 is very
nice and accurate even with backlighting.   On the other hand, the M camera
has a nice bright and BIG VF which gives me the information of what's
happening outside the frame lines and I have found that a very very useful
feature during composition.

If I carried both the M and the G2, the setup is quite complete.

Dan K.