Subject: Re: [Leica] New M
From: "Eric Larsen" <ejlarsen@xprt.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 11:01:44 -0800

Peter wrote:
>I think, the ,,modern'' Leica would come out to be a contax G2 (which
>I do not have _any_ experience with). For the price of a single Leica
>M6 body (DEM 4500,-) you already get this G2 offer, complete with
>28mm, 45mm and 90mm, which is all you want (basically) for DEM 5000,-.
>I think then no one who wants a ,,modern'' camera would buy a
>compatible.
>
>I do not see the market for a M compatible.

Good points.  I think the market would be for less-expensive, manual,
rangefinder cameras, not for "improved" M's.  There have been many posts
about how one often uses a RF differently, in different situations, for
different purposes.  This would allow more photographers to be able to do
that.  It would also provide a less expensive second body for people who
just can't afford to pick up another Leica.  The used market is ok, but used
Leica M's, rightly so, command a premium price, often beyond the reach of
lower-budget family people and students.  The same philosophy also applies
to the possibility of off-brand M-mount lenses - more accessible to the
photographic community.

Further, this would be to the benefit of Leica and Leica M users, because
more photographers will use, understand and promote the practice of manual
RF photography, thus increasing the size of the market for the truly best,
Leica M.  More purchasers of new and used Leica M gear will keep the market
healthy for Leica, resellers and M-owners.

Finally, I can't resist, even though it is an _old_ thread, I wouldn't mind
seeing spot metering or a self timer built in to the body.  Perhaps any new
manufacturer could serve as some sort of de facto test bed for extra, not
improved, features for M-type bodies.  Retro appearance would be fun, but
not at all important.