Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Cosina Voitlander Range finder camera
From: Mikiro MORI <arbos@iname.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 20:34:45 +0100

At 14:17 +0100 1/16/99, Cummer Family wrote:
>Could some Japanese Luggers please visit the Cosina site and give us a
>rough translation of the spec of the camera (Y33,000) and the 15MM lens
>plus viewfinder (Y65,000) and the 25MM lens plus viewfinder (Y45,000) and
>when this combo will be available. Also does the camera use a LTM mount?
>What about TTL flash? Grateful for any info that can be provided, as the
>site is in Japanese and the English site only talks about Cosina SLRs which
>are of no interest to me. It looks like Yasuhara San may have some
>competition for the T981.

Hi, LUGgers.

The combo is said to appear on the market next month.  I have not verified
it.  Personally, I ordered a T981, which will be available in May or June.
Bessa L is a camera without a range finder and thus has pros and cons at the
same time.  Although we cannot expect "Leica-quality" in products with these
prices, they certainly appear to be good photographic tools.

Following is translation of the specs of your possible interest.  Hope it is
of some help.

Bessa L (33000 yen = 290 USD)

*Camera body of die-cast aluminium
*Full mechanical vertical-travel focal-plane shutter (1-1/2000 sec & B)
*Center-weighted TTL metering (EV4-EV19) usable with most of LTM lenses
except those with extremely short flange back length. (A SPD photocell on
the bottom receives reflected light from the shutter membranes.)
*Mechanical self-timer
*Distance measurement with eyes (no range finder)
<No comments on TTL-auto flash, but without doubt unavailable>

SuperWide-Heliar 15mm F4.5 Aspherical (65000 yen = 560 USD)
*8 elements in 6 groups
*10 aperture-blades
*Minimum distance, 0.3 m
*No interlocking with rangefinders <no cam?>
*Dimensions, 30.7 mm (length) x49.6mm (diameter); Weight, 105 g
High eye-point finder (4 elements in 4 groups)
*magnification, 0.38
*frame coverage, 93% at 3 m

Snapshot-Skopar 25mm F4 (45000 yen = 390 USD)
*7 elements in 5 groups
*10 aperture-blades
*Minimum distance, 0.7 m
*No interlocking with rangefinders <no cam?>
*Dimensions, 30.7 mm (length) x29.5mm (diameter); Weight, 90 g
High eye-point finder (4 elements in 4 groups)
*magnification, 0.38
*frame coverage, 93% at 3 m

- --
Mikiro Mori