Subject: [Leica] Leica Ruggedness
From: RedDrake@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 22:16:58 EST

Just rescued an old Leica II from a dealers junk bin. It used to be black,
but now it's mostly brass, rubbed off numbers, a little rust, split
vulcanite, and a shutter dial that is positively challenging to read.
Yet, as much abuse as this baby has taken, the shutter still works,
the rangefinder still works (although it is not contrasty enough),
and the viewfinder is clean and clear. Now don't get me wrong, like
all closet cameras, this one needs shutter tuneup and probably a
new curtain cut, but I still think it's in pretty amazing mechanical
shape for it's cosmetic condition.

So, as a side question, I know I can have the mechanical things attended
to if I wish, but is it possible to do things like replace the vulcanite,
repaint the top (and make the engraving stand out again), make the
shutter speed dial a little more visible, and repaint the baseplate?

I know I could fully restore it, but I'd guess that would be not
economically feasible, though I wouldn't mind finding out what
it costs. Thanks.