Subject: [Leica] Life with PAD, hats off to PJs, boxer shorts
From: "Khoffberg" <khoffberg@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 19:18:10 -0800

Another week gone by.  Who knew PAD shooting was this tough?

1) This was the week of the great M6 downward launching episode.  On my way
out the door to go to NYC for a week I dropped my M6 (duly reported) and
pranged my beloved 35mm 2.0 ASPH.  As I later discovered my rangefinder was
also wangled up as well.  I had another lens with me so I used the DOF scale
and f11 to keep shooting.
2) My PAD streak came to an end when I finally dropped my gear off at
Tamarkin for repair.  Sherry was kind enough to point out to me that my
warranty would cover the body.  This proved true though sadly not for the
lens which I bought used.  Nevertheless, Tamarkin stepped up and is taking
care of everything.  I guess I let convenience take over so I surrendered my
camera rather than keep the PAD streak going.  I did however make an
accommodation with myself.  Thinking this might happen, I took some "extra"
pictures the night before.  I went back to those spots the day without my
camera so I could at least say I was there, taking the pictures again in my
mind.  I guess it was bound to happen.
3) It never occurred to me to carry a spare camera on a business trip.  As
light as I travel, an M6, two or three lenses, and a small Gitzo seem like
all I can handle.  My Olympus XA stays in my briefcase.

My hat is off in a big way to you working shooters.  This is not easy, not
even remotely.  Only a small portion of what I shot the week before is
interesting and certainly fewer are meaningful.  I don't know how you guys
do it day in and day out.

As a counterpoint to dropping my M6, I am please to report a newly torn pair
of Nordstrom boxer shorts which I'm eagerly looking forward to pressing into
service for lens cleaning duties.  Any hints Ted (other than wash them)?

Cheers
Kevin Hoffberg