Subject: Re: [Leica] Japanese built Leica R zoom lenses
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 00:41:06 -0600

>I wonder if this Japanese connection is a bit of a tarnish on the
>product name a la the "made in Portugal" found on R models up to and
>including the R5.

No, it is not. Leica has always referred to this lens as an entry level
lens. But no matter where a Leica lens is made, it's made to their
standards. Japanese manufacturers have acquitted themselves very well in
proving they can make superb lenses. If they chose to, they could make
lenses just as good as Leicas.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Cynicism often masquerades for sophistication in our society, but more
often than not it's merely an indicator of resentment.