Subject: RE: [Leica] Win 95 to 98
From: George Hartzell <hartzell@corp.webtv.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 09:29:28 -0800 (PST)

Michael Garmisa writes:
 > At 09:50 PM 1/16/99 -0300, you wrote:
 > >If I could get Photoshop for Linux I'd be there in a minute!
 > Have you tried GIMP?

If you're interested in the GIMP, check out www.gimp.org.

Here's some info from the main page:

    What is the GIMP

        The GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely
        distributed piece of software suitable for such tasks as photo
        retouching, image composition and image authoring. This site contains
        information about downloading, installing, using, and enhancing
        GIMP. This site also serves as a distribution point for the latest
        releases, patches, plugins, and scripts. We also try to provide as
        much information about the GIMP community and related projects as
        possible.

    What`s this site about?

        Well, The Gimp is an image manipulation program, written by Peter
        Mattis and Spencer Kimball, and released under the GNU General Public
        License (GPL). It is a program for UNIX and X. To learn more about
        this program, just read on on this page.

It's a pretty neat program.  I haven't found it to be a replacement
for Photoshop on the Mac, mostly because there doesn't seem to be a
good concept of color management under the X window system.  It has
some great special effects, and if you're a programmer the built-in
extension language (based on Scheme) is very useful for bulk
operations.

It's well worth a look if you're working on Unix-like (including
Linux) systems.

g.