Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 focusing
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 17:09:11 -0600

Sunday, Sunday, January 17, 1999, Gary and Dawn Klein wrote:

> and in real photo situations
> on the street.  The canon user would be forced in this situation to slide
> the autofocus switch to M.

What in the world are you talking about?????

Have you ever used EOS 1n????

I  work  damn near every day taking photos for my bread and butter and
there  are  VERY few situations where the AF on the EOS does not work.
And for snap to focus it will beat the hell out of anyone. (going from
totally  out  of  focus  to  sharp focus) I should know I have covered
sports up to and including Super Bowls and World series Baseball games
and  still  shoot  NFL  football  with manual focus lenses for my long
glass  and  use the EOS 1n with 70-200 2.8L for my short glass. I KNOW
that the AF will snap focus faster and better than me 99% of the time.
For  follow focus it maybe better if I would learn how to do it, but I
have   done   it  the  old way for so long and am comfortable with it,
and  really don't want to part with my old 400 2.8 manual lens, we have
seen a lot together.

Please  don't  make  statements like the above unless you have used the
gear  and  can give real life situations where it will not work instead
of generalities.

Face  it  Leica  may  make  damn  good  lenses and such, but the other
cameras,  speaking  top  of  the  line here, are not dogs, and in some
cases  are  better and more practical for working stiffs.... If the AF
on  Canon was so poor as you suggest Canon would not have grabbed such
a  huge  share  of the Pro market back in the late 80's when the EOS 1
came out. The pros would have kept their af Nikons that had to be used
on manual...

Best regards,
 Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto