Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: exposure rules
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@jnlcom.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 09:53:54 -0600

George,

This hads been being done in publishing for a while now.

For example several years ago...1989 the photographer I work with was
doing a photo of a building at sunset.

The building was a 15 story building..tallest in the community and all
red brick and is rather modern looking.  David had the building framed up
with the top of the courthouse and the tall building to contrast old and
new...a very nice shot.  In the photos where the buildings looked good
the sky was totally clear on th slide.  When the sky looked good the
buildings were black.

So when the scans were done and the plates made to print the magazine two
slides were combined.  One of the buildings and another of the sky to
make a very nice cover.

I have uploaded a copy of that cover if you care to see what it looked
like.  Go to:
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto/98RCcover.jpg

I always wondered how David got this photo as it is from the town I grew
up in and I could not figure out the technical details how this would
work. I was working for the local newspaper at the time this magazine
came out....When he told me the story I understood why I could not figure
it out.  :)

George Huczek wrote

>I'm not into computer manipulation of images, but for those who are, you
>might want to consider taking two, or perhaps three shots of the same
>scene, with the camera tripod mounted, over a range of exposure settings if
>the scene contrast exceeds the film's exposure latitude. You might then be
>able to make a composite image from these, with detail in the shadows,
>midtones, and highlights.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto
new book at http://www.volmania.com