Subject: [Leica] Discounting Olympus' Claim to Glory
From: Lucian Chis <chis@ece.orst.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 15:11:05 -0700 (PDT)

I am looking at the Nov '97 issue of Clasic Camera, and at page 3 there is
an article which cites a survey by Buying Cameras magazine  (which must be
some EU outfit).
I don't know if you guys here in US have seen this (Classic camera is an
Italian/English magazine) but 200 photographers, photo manufacturers adn
dealers were asked by this outfit to nominate their top 5 cameras of all
time. The result is
1. OM-1
2. F
3. M6 (ouch!)
4. F5
5. M3
6. Spotmatic
7. Minolta 7000(!)
8. EOS 1n
9. Oly Trip 35 (They must have meant Pen here!!)
10. Pentax ME super
11. F2
12. F4
13. F3
14. Pentax Z-1P.
15. T90 (!!)
16. N90/s
17. IIIG
18. Leica I
19. F-1n
20. Pentax LX
So there must be something about the OM system that is right.
I have used an OM1 2N 2S and they are good, but maybe a little too much
contrast. The catch with Zuiko lenses is that some of them are single
coated, so you need to watch out when you buy.
I kind of hate the speed setting though!

Lucian