Subject: [Leica] Leica M3 cameras
From: "Gary and Dawn Klein" <gdklein@bytehead.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 22:04:21 -0600

I do have a question about M3 cameras as I am not as well versed about these
compared the M4-M6 range.  Can a quick load spool be installed?  I
understand they load much like the IIIf did.  I recall loading a IIIf with
sucess in high school, but not sure if I want to deal with that should I buy
an M3.  If I recall correctly, the leader had to be exactly 3 inches long or
it wouldn't load correctly.

Is there in all reality a huge difference between the M3 earlier cameras vs
the later models for reliability.  Can any of you steer me what to look for
when searching out a good user.   I will be searching out a user camera in
good shape.  Could someone steer me in the right direction.  When I say
user, I mean a camera can have paint wear, but no major dings that would
cause usability problems. I want the M3 to be the camera where I have a 50mm
planted on it at all times, leaving the wide work for my M4-2.  I notice
that some guys have these funny little rewind knob levers on their M3
cameras instead of the round knob which does slow down rewinding.  Are those
still available?  It wouldn't be the end of the world if I couldn't get
that, but I would like to know.  I realize that if I get one of these Leica
Icons, its going to be from 33 to 45 years old.

Is there any concern for the glass pressure plate models?  Has anyone had
the misfortune of it breaking?  Or is that one of those convert it to metal
type retrofit projects.

Last but not least has anyone dealt with Jimmy Kuehl.  If so were you
treated fairly and was gear rated properly.

Thanks

gck