Subject: [Leica] filter usage
From: "Gary and Dawn Klein" <gdklein@bytehead.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 19:15:18 -0600

    I will admit that I am one in the camp of UV filter use.  However,  I do
not scrimp on which UV I buy.  Either a UV B+W filter, Hoya super multi
coated filter or a Nikon L37c.
    On all my Nikons, I have their L37c.  Not real cheap, but very very
nice.  Does not seem to degrade the image.  Nice thin mounts even with my
20mm f2.8 Nikkor AIS.   Even had the God Awful expensive 122mm L37c when I
had my 200mm f2.   Glass and coatings match lenses.
    On my Eos Canon 20~35mm I have the Hoya SMC filter.  I think this is one
of the finest filters out there.  It really is neutral. Solidly built.  When
you look at the lens it doesn't even look like you have a filter threaded
on.  I have seen Canon UV filters and I didn't care for their constructive
details.
    Ok now comes the Leica.  I have both Leica and B+W multi coated UV
filters.  I have been well pleased.
    My rational for filters is this.  When you work in the field, you
changes lenses frequently...at least I do.  Anytime I can prevent damage to
a really expensive piece of glass I do it.  I spend enough every year on
camera repair as it is.  I don't need to be replacing elements.
    A few years ago, a filter saved my 28mm~45 f4.5 Nikkor lens from death.
A neck strap broke.  The camera landed on concrete on the filter ring.  A
trip to Professional Camera Repair in NYC to get the stuck filter off my
lens.  The lens has a new L37c on it and is still making photos for me.
     When the filter gets smagged up, it goes and a new one gets screwed on.
I don't know where I am going to be from job to the next and I don't want to
worry about messing up a front element.....particularly my own personal gear
I use on the job.  I do have Hoya SMCs on both my company Canon lenses.  I
have tested them off and on and they performed very very nicely.
    If I had a Noctilux, a B+W multi coated filter would be on the lens MOST
of the time.  It would go off when shooting really critical flarey type of
light.  The filter would just protect my (see, you guys are making me talk
real possessive of these things) Noctilux.
    As a test, I shot some photos with a Tiffen UV filter, a B+W UV filter
and no filter.  There was no discernable difference between the B+W and no
filter.  I felt the image to be a tad flat with the tiffen (non multi
coated)
    Just lighten up.  Its more important to be out there shooting than to
worry about smagging a lens.  The multi coated filter gets rid of my worry
of lens ruin and lets me shoot photographs.  That is the bottom line for me.
    If you shoot lots of black and white as I do for personal work, you will
be using specialized filters for your tone controls.   Don't buy cheap ones
there either.  The better brands just seem to work better and the results
reflect that.
    If you decide you need a protective filter, just don't buy cheap.
    gck