Subject: Re: [Leica] XTOL Suddenly Dying
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 17:58:03 EST

Mark:

As I wrote to Glenn I have been using Xtol exlusively for about 5 months now.
I am now at the bottom of the original gallon that I mixed.   I have used it
1:3, 1:2 and last week I used the stock solution for the first time.  I do not
re-use the chemicals.    I had breakfast this morning with my friend Dan Post
and showed him the negatives and the prints from Delta 100, exposed at ISO 50
and developed in stock Xtol at 68 degrees for 6-1/2 minutes.    I think that
he will agree that they are pretty darn good.  They were difficult negatives
to print because the tonal range was so broad.  There was details in the
shadows like I have never been able to achieve before.   I have come to the
conclusion that stock solution Xtol is the way to go and I think that I can
safely eliminate other developers from my darkroom.  I would also like to add
that Xtol is the only Kodak product that I use.    Kodak does emphasize the
importance of having the correct amount of stock solution Xtol when diluting.
I have been communicating with a photographer in Spain that has been
experiencing similar problems with Xtol but has concluded that Kodak has
distributed some bad batches of Xtol.

Mark, please give Xtol a try.  It is, in my opinion,  an exceptional product
with Delta film.

Good Luck,
Bob Bedwell

<< > XTOL Suddenly Dying

 I bought a packet of XTOL a month ago but haven't opened it out of fear
 of the unknown. I'm catching up on some developing to put it mildly and
 I didn't feel like it was the time to experiment.
 After I get caught up I'm going to make a go of it.
 A friend recommended it to me, showed me some prints and in this group
 and elsewhere on the internet there is a swarm of x rodinal users and
 other specialized interests who are switching to this new poison.
 (although it is the least poisonous developer that could ever exist).
 My searches on newsgroups turned up dozens of blank to almost blank
 reports such as yourself.
  Enough to give one pause....The stuff has some quirky issues.
 On the Kodak site you can download huge readme's on it (they're saving
 paper) and they address shelf life but most particularly the minimum
 about of develop you can use in a tank and per roll. Its starting to
 sound like 1:3 is not a good idea and using it fresh and straight might
 be the way to go. That's my input.
 Mark Rabiner