Subject: Re: [Leica] Rangefinder&Fast lenses
From: Lucian Chis <chis@ece.orst.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 23:14:02 -0800 (PST)

Let's go back to the original thread which claimed that a rangefinder
cries  "fast lenses". This is what I raised in opposition to. That it has
fast lenses (35/2 is one example right now) it is true, but have you seen
a 135/2 in a rangefinder?
50/ f2.8 is opened enough for a lot of depth of field limitation, just try
once not to focus properly and you will see that. Then again 50/1 is
handicapped when stopped down. (BTW, does anybody know why the diaphragm
on this beast looks like a star when about midway stopped down?). And also
it covers a good chunk of your viewfinder.
What I said about blurr was, and maybe I have to rephrase it as follows:
with an SLR (take Leicaflex,as I don't know about the R8 which you guys
claim to be in the same class) you will have more shake due to the mirror
than a range finder at the same speed (say 1/8). You have to open up
therefor in order to cut on that, so you get reduced DOF. So you get a
larger DOF on a rangefinder due to the less shake and handholding at slow
speeds. Of course you can get the Noctilux on a rangefinder, open it up in
midday and load ISO 25/15 and still have to pull it kes it ain't got
anything past 1/1000! Isn't that right? Now you have the ayes (sic) and
only the ayes in focus! The truth lies somewhere in the middle.
I am sure YOU know this, but some innocents out there are raising an
eyebrow to all this babbling.
Have to get some sleep,

Cheers,

Lucian