Subject: [Leica] Re: FX39 keeping properties
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 05:37:58 -0600

At 11:23 PM 20/01/99 +0100, you wrote:
>The recent thread about XTOL dying reminded me of my frustration with
>the lack of precision concerning the keeping properties of Paterson's
>FX39. The instructions simply state that "FX39 has excellent keeping
>qualities. Fresh concentrate has a pale gold tint.  (etc)

Here's my take on this, if I may make a suggestion.  Exposed film will
remain stable when kept in the freezer much longer than mixed developer
will keep on the shelf.  Don't mix your developer until you have exposed
enough film to use up the entire batch of the developer at once, within a
few days, with one-shot use.  That way, you never have to worry about
developer that is starting to oxidize.
   I know that some films require processing as soon as possible,
especially very high speed B&W films.  But for most B&W films, you can
safely leave them frozen after exposure for some time without encountering
a noticeable degradation in image quality.  (I accidentally left an exposed
roll of HP5 frozen for 10 years and it still developed with only a slight
loss of image quality.)  Why bother risking developing your film with stale
developer?  Purchase small amounts of developer, like the 1 or 2 litre
sizes to make up the stock solution.  Calculate how many rolls of film you
can develop with whatever dilution you are using.  Then wait to mix up the
developer until you have enough film exposed and stored in the freezer.  It
is preferable to leave the exposed film waiting for a few months than to
mix up the developer and leave it for a few months before using it.  I've
poured enough brown developer down the drain to realize that it is not
economical to leave developers on the shelf too long.
   I use this method when I am exposing a small quantity of special film,
for use with a specific developer that I know has a short shelf life.
Alternatively, for developers that have good keeping qualities as liquid
concentrates, like HC-110 or TMax, I just develop a few rolls at a time and
squeeze out as much of the air as I can from the plastic containers.
   Maintain a system for storing exposed film in a different place from
your unexposed material, and this system works really well for low volume use.

 _
[o] -GH