Subject: Re: Off topic - who owns ( was RE: [Leica] Ansel Adams, Yosemite NP, and Moonscapes)
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 08:23:06 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

Well, thanks for the comments, Richard.......but as you noted, there (still)
are no answers......as a staffer, (NOT photographer) and as an adjunct
instructor, I have no job-related push to take pictures.  However, unlike
most staffers (non-artists/photographers), I do.....and, like everyone
else, I do at least PART of my "photography" at work.....usually developing
and printing film I bought on my own paper.  All my color work is done
on the university's machine.  This was an agreed-to benefit when I came
to work here, but now I question whether the chairman at the time (long
gone) even had the right/power to agree to such an arrangement.  I KNOW that
no one here now would agree to such a thing......tho it's been accepted
as the "status quo" forever....

To further complicate things (!) my dean's staff
 REFER photo work to me....we get many requests for photography
outside the "teaching" realm, and since I have a reputation as reliable and
prompt, I get the call......I can only assume that a) they intend for me
to take money for the job, and b) that they KNOW that I do photo work here,
and c) that it's OK.   I doubt that anyone would actually STATE that, tho.....
leaving me in a constant state of limbo.....I'd rather NOT get the calls
(weddings, parties, etc--yuck!!) but they keep coming....No one ASSUMES I'll
do the work, but then what the hell DO they assume?

I've broached the subject once in a meeting with superiors.....the answers
I got were so goddamn vague that they clearly didn't want to "go there"....

I have a friend about to publish in a MAJOR way....I'm interested to see what
he, as an employee, experiences in these matters....he's asked questions, and
been assured that there was no problem, but who knows?  Very complicated
questions.

Anyway, all I've gleaned from this search for info is that it's NOT ok to use
materials (film, etc) that were bought with student fees for instructional
purposes....what about the enlargers? what about chemistry in the machines?

I'm not asking irrelavent questions or making trouble...I never thought about
it until a student made an "anonomous" complaint several years ago....nothing
further came of it....  BUT >

What IF I started getting good (i.e., valuable) photo work....AND  someone complained...
(and yes, threatened with their >Lawyer< - see, I couldn't resist! :)!)
I know that my superiors would not endanger themselves, and would sit
firm on "policy"!!

AS you noted, my getting rich at the expense of others has not been a problem :)

But twenty years ago, having a "girlie" calender on the wall wasn't a problem, either!!

Damn P.C>   Damn lawyers :)

73, and thanks again for the reply,
Walt