Subject: [Leica] Summary of Responses to XTOL Problem
From: "Glen M. Robinson" <gmrobinson@imation.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 08:58:15 -0600

- --0__=bRBk9xnkhzxLvsutg2pUgupClIU4ZtVSzQsQ8Ey4GFybYmdrrh9H3JU8

     My request for information about Kodak XTOL film developer suddenly
dying generated a dozen or so public and private responses. I will
summarize their contents.  The problem was four rolls of Tri-X film in two
batches came out totally blank after I developed them in XTOL diluted 1:3.
The developer was four or five months old.  I had used it only a couple
weeks before with normal results.

     This problem has happened to a number of photographers.  The Internet
Photo Darkroom Newsgroup has had a long discussion about it.  Most reported
this problem happening with the one liter packages.  Several said that
Kodak had a problem sealing the packages.  Another person suggested that
the problem was caused by a stabilizer in the developer.

     Most respondents asked for further details about how I mix and store
my chemicals. I have always purchased XTOL developer in five liter packages
quantities. I follow Kodak
- --0__=bRBk9xnkhzxLvsutg2pUgupClIU4ZtVSzQsQ8Ey4GFybYmdrrh9H3JU8

=92s mixing directions.  I dissolve the developer
in distilled water and mix it in a large stainless steel beaker over a
combined magnetic stirrer and hot plate.  I use a large stainless steel=

cooking spoon to initially mix and dissolve the ingredients and let the=

magnetic stirrer complete the process.  I store the master solution in =
one
gallon amber colored glass bottles and squirt =93Dust-Off=94 in them to=
 flush
the air out and to leave an inert fluorocarbon atmosphere to minimize
oxidation.  I flush out the air after each time that I open the bottle.=

     One asked me about the importance of the lost images.  Fortunately=
, I
had taken the photographs with a Zeiss Universal microscope so it was a=
easy matter to photograph the specimens again.  Thank goodness the
photographs were not of an unique event, such as a wedding or trip.  Ev=
ery
respondent praised XTOL as being an outstanding developer.

     Now for my opinions.  I doubt that inadequate package sealing caus=
ed
this problem.  I inspected my remaining developer packages and they are=

intact.  The developer would probably not ever work properly if air or
moisture leaked into the packages of dry ingredients.  I agree with the=

respondent that Kodak probably has a stabilizer problem.  I plan to con=
tact
Kodak about this problem.

     I plan to continue using XTOL, but in the future I will be cautiou=
about using developer that is more than three or four months old to pro=
cess
irreplaceable pictures.  Thank you for your advice.

Glen Robinson

=

- --0__=bRBk9xnkhzxLvsutg2pUgupClIU4ZtVSzQsQ8Ey4GFybYmdrrh9H3JU8--