Subject: RE: [Leica] filter usage + lens tests
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:42:55 -0400

At 09:45 AM 1/21/99 -0800, "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com
wrote:
><snip>
>All that long-winded introduction to this question: Should I expect to get
>as good photos from these older R lenses as compared to the newer ones?
>They look so much less expensive used as the new ones. Is it because the new
>ones have electronics etc. built into them? Is the glass, formulas etc.
>essentially the same?<snip>
>
>No.  Newer lenses will be sharper.  The Leica folks have bettered the
>Miinolta designs in more recent vintages of lenses.

Peter:

None of the lenses he listed were Minolta designs.  The answer to his
question is that the lenses he has are the latest designs, except for the
50 1.4 .  The 35 and 135 Elmarits were never replaced with a newer formula
and are very good performers.

Risking a flame, Peter have you ever owned or used Leica R lenses?  What do
you base you comments on?  I happen to have just got a 35mm Elmarit, and I
will make comparison shots between it and the 35mm Summicron I have.  I do
not expect to see any difference by F4.  The Summicron would clearly be
superior at F2 :-)

Regards,

Robert