Subject: Re: [Leica] Metering highlights revisited.... bracketing
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 16:26:58 -0800

Joseph Codispoti wrote:

> I second Duane’s philosophy about limiting bracketing to certain stationary
> and or contrasty subjects.

Have to say I disagree with both of you.  I either bracket or snip
almost everything, unless it is so evenly lit is doesn't matter.  Part
of the problem is that labs vary from day to day, hour to hour by 1/2
stop or more.  And a 1/2 stop can make huge difference.  If I was using
one-shot Jobo absolutely nailed, maybe I would bracket less.  Luis
Casteneda once told me that when he switched from pro lab in Miami to a
Jobo ATL-3 that his light meters started to work accurately.

And there are other subtlies that minute exposure can make such a
difference.  Maybe it is just my style, but I can't tell you how often I
am discouraged when I haven't bracketed, though to be fair, it is
usually when doing strobe light set ups where even with metering,
polaroids and luck, it is still best to bracket or snip.

I find that if i'm not within 1/3 stop, the photo is a throwaway.  Maybe
I should read the how to book again and start shooting with sun over my
shoulder only.  But so often I will conceive a scene and know how I want
it to look on the film--just where the highlights or shadows should
fall--but don't know absolutely exactly what exposure, film and
especially lab it is going to take to get me there.

Show me someone who shoots only chrome and doesn't bracket or snip and
I'll bet you will find they shoot a whole lot of "safe" lit pix.

In BW, however, this is different.

donal
- --
Donal Philby