Subject: Re: [Leica] What is the better camera? R4 or R5
From: WILLIAM CALDWELL <sneeker@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 07:02:45 -0500

SNIP --
Deniz Saylan wrote:
> ... am thinking about to purchase a R4 or a R5. Which is the better >camera? IŽd like to have a reliable body with good exposure meter.

SNIP --

Go for the R5!  The Leica R4 was in production from approximately 1980
- -1987.  The early production run of R4 bodies reportably has electronic
component problems.  The very early bodies were engraved R4 MOT
ELECTRONIC (collector's item).  Others on LUG have indicated that R4
bodies with serial numbers above 1580000 have improved electronics.  If
you have to have a R4 the later R4-S MOD 2 or R4-S MOD P [US
designation] (1985-1986) is said to be more reliable.  These engravings
appear on the accessory shoe. Lager's "An Illustrated History, Volume I
- - Cameras" states for the R4-S MOD2 & MODP that the improvements
included a sliding switch instead of a button to effect exposure
compensation, a more comfortable plastic sheathed advance lever, a more
positive mode selector switch and a redesigned eyepiece to accept a
locking rubber eyecup or diopter lens frame.

I have a mid production R4, serial no. 15853xx, which has been trouble
free, expect for a failure of the foam rubber around the window
outlining the film cassette on the hinged back, which caused a light
leak (it gets hard and does not press against the cassette).  That foam
rubber gasket is available and is very easily replaced by the user.

The R5 body was in production from approximately 1987 (Lager states
serial numbers start at 1696451) to 1992, and offers TTL flash exposure
automation (using the SCA 351 adapter), shutter speed to 1/2000 (R4 was
1/1000), and a built in diopter correction (+/-2) in the body.  In the
viewfinder, all data lies outside of the image area.  The early R5
bodies were manufactured in Leitz Portugal (as were the R4 bodies).  In
1988 Leica switched production to Solms, Germany.  The later R5 bodies
have the form fitting palm rest on the right rear of the back.  This
piece, the hinged back with the palm rest, is available and may be
fitted to earlier R4 and R5 bodies.  I also have a late R5 body (Ser.
No. 19017xx) which gets a lot of use, and I much prefer it over the R4.
Subjectively, from using both bodies, I believe that there is a
difference in the exposure metering, with the R5 having the better
meter.

Hope this explanation helps --

Best of light and my regards,

Bill Caldwell