Subject: Re: [Leica] XTOL Suddenly Dying: Storage
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 20:43:05 EST

Thanks Marc.

I mentioned my need of amber glass gallon jugs today at my photo dealer and he
said wait just a minute.  He came from his storage room and gave me two jugs
that are perfect.

I appreciate your tips on other containers and I must be a little more careful
with me handling and storage.

Bob Bedwell

<< At 06:46 AM 1999-01-23 EST, Bob Bedwell wrote:

 >I have not been as careful as several of you have in
 >storage practices.  I do not have gallon glass amber jugs and frankly I
don't
 >know where to get them.  My best friend is a pharmacist at a very high-
volume
 >pharmacy and he hasn't seen any glass gallon jugs come into his store for
 >years.  I have een using those brown plastic jugs that you purchase in the
 >camera shops.

 Well, you CAN still find gallon glass jugs, brown or otherwise:  apple
 cider and the like come in them, and my local pharmacy, at any rate, can
 special-order them.  But I do not store XTOL in gallon jugs;  I've NEVER
 stored a developer in a gallon jug.  I use 1 liter (34 oz) or 500cc (17 oz)
 brown glass bottles as my primary storage, and these I can buy over the
 counter at my local pharmacy.  For overflow storage, when I run out of the
 regular bottles, I use quart clear-glass V-8 bottles (yes, yes, yes:  I
 drink the V-8 first, and wash the bottle).

 I have had bad, bad experiences with plastic;  even the best plastic allows
 air in through its porosity, and this dramatically reduces the longevity of
 the developer.

 Stop-bath, fixer, and Photo-Flo I do store in glass gallon jugs.  C-41
 chemistry and Ilfochrome stuff I store in quart glass bottles.

 Marc