Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica, Minolta, Glass, Erwin, Marc
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 13:13:02 +0100

On 22-01-1999 02:32 Jim Brick wrote:

>Leica does not make their own glass (except for R&D) and Leica buys
>standard "off the shelf" glass from Hoya, Schott, and others. Standard
>glass catalog items. Eloquently dissertated to us by Erwin.

That's right: I have been told at Leica that they have four main
suppliers (two Japanese, one of them Hoya, and two European, one of them
Schott). And apparently the "special" glass would mainly come from the
European sources.
As for the polishing/grinding machines, many of them could be bought by
any lensmaker. But it has been pointed out to me -in response to my
remark that if this were true, anybody could basically have the same
tools as Leica- that some of the machine manufacturers have entered into
a exclusivity agreement with Leica so that they cannot sell the same
tools to anyone else.

Pascal
NO ARCHIVE

See my photo pages at http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
Who else than Leica could make a camera like the R8 ?
With that unique design and above all: that ergonomics.
Nikon ? Canon ? Nobody but Leica !