Subject: [Leica] Still PADding around
From: "Khoffberg" <khoffberg@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 18:24:13 -0800

Another week or PAD shooting.  Subjects included both the mundane and the
sublime.  Our local reservoir just down the road is home to a slew of small
docks, ducks, ospreys, and more (including apparently a Bald Eagle - hear
that Doug?).  It also sports a wonderful collection of old turquoise and
white peddle boats, Grumman canoes, and rowboats.  This week we've had rain,
fog, mist, frost, and sunshine which have each called me back to the
reservoir to shoot and reshoot the same things over and over, each time with
different light and a different sensibility.

Once again my hat goes off to the pro shooters (I'm running out of hats).  I
knew the minute I got in the car last Sunday after having shot a roll of
E100S I needed to go back.  Why?  I rushed.  I didn't really get a sense of
the place.  Images I already knew I should have composed differently.  So
back I went.  The second time I shot many fewer images but was vastly more
pleased with what I got.  The same the third time.  Looking back over the
week's work, I'm actually quite pleased with images from each journey.  The
different light and weather conditions are enthralling.  But to my point,
getting a sense of the place IMMEDIATELY is no mean feat.  I've read a bit
about the great photographers and know they went back and back so I take
comfort in that.  Still, you folks he get one go at a scene or an image are
to be applauded.

As a recommendation, I also went to a local nursery one rainy day.  It was
really quite marvelous.  Wonderful shapes and juxtapositions.  Even without
anything in bloom.  I shot E6 but B&W would have been even better.  Search
one out.

Another recommendation: I've been haunting construction sites on weekends.
Lots of interesting stories there if you look.

Cheers
Kevin Hoffberg