Subject: Re: [Leica] Rokor or Elmarit
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 09:42:25 -0500

At 15:57 +0100 24/01/99, Tord-Rikard Söderström wrote:
>I am planing to buy a 28mm for my newly invested chrome Leica M6
>I understand that there are two different classes, Rokor´s and Elmarit´s
>what is the basic difference between these two, not just that the
>Rokor is out of production and that it has a older construction

	Rokkor lenses are Minolta products, not Leica.
	They are very well considered and could represent
	a good purchase IF you don't value the superlative
	performance of the LEICA brand lenses
	for your brand new LEICA M6.

	The Rokkor is very good,
	the LEICA is extremely good.

	At their respective prices, however,
	they both represent solid value.
	You get what you pay for.

	Yet, I find it hard to understand how a photographer
	who appreciates LEICA premium quality would hesitate
	for a single second to try and get the
	absolute best, most recent high tech lenses, LEICA,
	and still go for a LEICA M6 camera. Dependability ?

>I would say that the low contrast in color rendition that older lenses give
>is a plus point, but then we have the lack of sharpness at open apertures

	Perhaps would David Hamilton applaud your statement,
	but light control is easier with a "can do" LEICA lens
	than with another lens that is LIMITED in its inherent
	contrast rendition, acutance/edge definition,
	edge to edge resolution, overall curve structure, MTF,
	luminosity, resolution, color neutral rendition,
	color GRADATION (nuance potential), etc.

	It is easier to find solutions to lower an objectionable
	contrast situation than have to give up on the overall
	quality level achievable for lack of a proper lens.

	I am 100% convinced you will be enchanted with the results
	achieved with your LEICA brand lenses, as you then
	will afford the luxury of using lower contrast emulsions,
	if and when YOU so decide, to achieve a predictable
	degree of color saturation, through bounced fill-in TTL flash,
	or many lab techniques rather than loose many shots to
	now obsolete technology.

	NOTE that your impression that, if such was the case,
	some Leica lenses can be too contrasty that you may
	have been exposed to photos that could have come
	out much better had YOU, personally, been in control,
	aware of your preferences, with proper technique.

	It would be quite difficult to get someone
	who definitely preferred AGFA CN12 tonal qualities
	to get excited by Fuji Velvia or AGFA Ultra 50 shots,
	for a "first time", but not for ever in my opinion.
	There are so many options: Fuji Reala, "wedding films",
	Kodak Vericolor III (ooops! -- quite saturated but lovely),
	Kodak Pro 100, Kodak Royal Gold, Agfa Optima II, etc.
	Plus the many diapo film types, of which Kodachrome 64,
	a very likely contender to meet your "natural color" expectations.
	Perhaps the new Kodak PORTRA ?

	It's like spicy foods: it IS possible to add too much spices,
	but you can't blame the cooking utensils or the weather.
	Proper technique, educated photo eye, sound judgment
	are major components of any photograph; add chance.

	You will, soon enough, find the right film match for your
	personal tastes and creative impulse and derive
	a real thrill each time you pick up your latest
	LEICA Elmarit / Summicron shots or walk in the lab.

	It is difficult to find lenses that would better
	appreciate the fine LEICA M6 TTL camera you recently purchased
	than the latest Elmarit / Summicron / Summilux / Telyt,
	or the unique Noctilux f/1.
	This way, you will most assuredly get your money's worth
	to the fullest possible extent: part & parcel of the
	Leica promise.

>would be happy for some kind of answer, Tord-Rikard

	Don't doubt the VALUE of LEICA lenses, Sir.
	Much more than engineering goes into each
	Leica lens design that reaches market.

         *	By the way, would you ever consider the newer
	high performance Elmarit-M 24mm f/2.8 ASPH ?
	It could bring a little bit more drama to your
	photo style, and true state-of-the-art performance,
	assuming you already enjoy the benefits of either
	the latest 35mm Summicron f/2 ASPH or a 50mm lens,
	another Summicron most probably,
	as "basic" system lens.

	Later on, you could "pick up" a 90mm or 135mm,
	depending on your preferences and actual needs,
	to extend your photo domain and "reach",
	the newest LEICA ones being without equal to date,
	or an eventual high resolution APO-Summicron f/2.8 75mm,
	if such a fantasy ever sees the light of day.

	It's real good photo karma to own LEICA equipment.

	Wishing you long years of LEICA photo satisfaction,
	and unsuspected financial gains...     ;+)

	AJQ

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Music for today:

	Baldassare Galuppi / Sonate #5 do majeur (C major)
	   (thought it was Mozart on an especially happy day; piano.
	    Made a long distance call to get the reference.)

	Bruckner / Messe en fa mineur (F minor)

	Marjan Mozetich / Fantasia sur un linguagio perduto
	   (on CBC #1038 "Procession") ("must get")
	   (Fantasy on a Lost Language), very XXth Century
	    yet "easy listening", all told.

   "Only when it's dark enough
    can you see the stars."

	Martin Luther King jr