Subject: [Leica] [ OFF TOPIC ] Quebec City Restaurants
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:11:48 -0500

>Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:35:45 -0500
>From: Sophie
Bonjour !

Mr Carl Socolow asked for good places to eat in Quebec City
during his Carnaval de Quebec photo escape. I asked a Radio-Canada
Quebec City person where the crew enjoyed to eat out.
Here is what they answered.

Andre Jean Quintal

PS 1 : I hope you won't blast me for sending this to the list.
OK: Bring a wide aperture Leica lens...  ;+)

PS 2 : no news where to get cigars.
 I was under the impression American
tourists rather enjoyed getting Cuban cigars, which are
regularly available, year round, in Quebec and Canada.
The key word is "TABAGIE".

>Québec, 26 janvier 1999
>
>Bonjour monsieur Quintal,
>
>Je regrette de ne pas avoir répondu avant à votre demande... le temps,
>le temps....
	I'm sorry I haven't answered your request earlier ...
time, time....

>Il y a tant de restaurants à Québec que je me demande bien par où
>commencer...
	There are so many restaurants in Quebec City, I truly wonder
where I should start.

>Le Krieghoff, rue Cartier, est un petit café sans grandes surprises mais
>bien chaleureux... encore plus chouette l'été grâce à sa terrasse.
>Sinon....le système de ventilation a des ratés et si on ne fume pas on
>étouffe...
	The Krieghoff, Cartier Street, is a small café without
unexpected surprises but very warm... even more interesting in Summer
for its patio. Yet, ... the air conditioning system is rather unpredictable
 and non smokers choke.

>Pas très loin de là, le restaurant de sushis "Le Métropolitain" se
>défend bien, si on n'a pas écumé toutes les meilleures adresses du pays.
	Not very far from there, the sushi restaurant "Le Métropo-
litain" holds its ground, unless one has been around the best addresses
of the country.

>Pour un repas italien continental, ambiance années 70 - avec chariot de
>dessert et pâtes cuisinées dans les poêlons de cuivres -
>Le café d'Europe rue Ste-Angèle (je crois) dans le Vieux. (C'était le
>resto préféré de Robert Bourassa...).
	For a continental Italian meal, with Seventies ambiance -
including pastry cart and pasta cooked in copper pans --
"Le café d'Europe", Ste-Angèle street (I think) in the Old city.
(It was Robert Bourassa's* favorite restaurant...)( * our former Prime
Minister).

>Pour un repas italien plus flyé, rue Maguire à Sillery, Le Montego. Plus
>jeune aussi... enfin... 30 - 40...
	For more of a far-out italian meal, on Maguire Street
in Sillery, "Le Montego". Younger too... well... 30 - 40...

>Italien, belle classe, rue Cartier, Le Graffiti - delicioso !
	Italian, good standing, Cartier Street., "Le Graffiti" - delicioso !

>Bonne table, excellente même, mais décor "La Baie", La Fenouillère à
>Ste-Foy, près des ponts... L'horizon vaut ce qu'il vaut, mais l'assiette
>et la cave à vin sont parmi les meilleures.
	Good table, excellent even, but "La Baie" decor (sort of
our Macy's), "La Fenouillère", in Ste-Foy, near the bridges (crossing the
St Lawrence river)... The scenery is so-so, but the cooking and wine cellar
are amongst the best.

>Oubliez le restaurant chez Serge Bruyère.... La réputation n'est plus à
>la hauteur....des prix....
	Forget Serge Bruyère's restaurant.... It does not live
up to its reputation anymore.... what prices....
	[NOTE: Serge Bruyere is a chef who won many awards
	a few years back, in Europe even.]

>Bistrot, style parisien, bien bruyant (acoustiquement nul) mais quelle
>bouffe joyeuse ! L'échaudée, rue Sault-au-Matelot dans le Vieux Port,
>pas très loin du Musée de la Civilisation. À deux pas, aussi, même
>influence Tour Eiffel, Le Café du Monde.
	Bistro, parisian style, very noisy (acoustics are mediocre)
but what a happy feast! "L'échaudée", Sault-au-Matelot street
in the Old Port [ Lower City ], not far from the Civilisation Museum.
	Two steps away, too, same Eiffel Tower influence,
"Le Café du Monde".

>Chinois et autres horizons du même Levant... L'Élysée Mandarin sur la
>rue d'Auteuil, derrière les murs, et à la limite L'Apsara, qui se
>débrouille bien... à quelques portes de l'autre, même rue.
	Chinese and other such Oriental horizons...
"L'Élysée Mandarin" on d'Auteuil Street, within the walls,
and, as a lesser alternate, "L'Aspara", which does a rather good job,
a few doors further, same street.

>À vous de jouer, si vous ne vous y retrouvez pas faites-moi signe !
	Your turn to play, if you do not make sense of this,
please let me know!

>Sophie

   "Only when it's dark enough
    can you see the stars."