Subject: Re: [Leica] Focomat V35 enlarger
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 13:30:18 -0800

Louis DiBacco wrote:

> Dear LUGers,
>
> I have an opportunity to purchase a Focomat V35 enlarger with the 40mm
> W.A. lens. This would be an upgrade from my present Durst M601 (I hope)
> which I've used for over 20 years.
>
> Does anyone out there use a V35? Are they worth every penny? Not worth
> every penny? Is an Omega  D5 a better purchase? Does anyone hate the
> V35? Why?
>
> I would appreciate any insight. Thanks for the help.
>
> Louis DiBacco

I just went rummaging throughout my basement and my first enlarger was
the 606 very close I think to yours, I got it in '64 when I was 13. If I
could get to it better I would dust it off.
I would be interested in the applicability of third party light heads on
the Focomats. My strong impression is they don't. So I would consider
the Omega D5 or 4 or the Beselar 23c all metal medium format enlarger is
what I always straight off recommend to most people who are never going
to use 4 by 5. The availability of third party head is an issue for me
as the light head itself of course is a major issue other than than
lens, stability and adjust ability. I use a D4 with an Aristo cold light
Variable contrast head.
If it turned out the focomats could use a variety of other peoples
lightheads it would present an issue for me to further check them out.
(could be said better?)