Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: aspherics
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 18:16:43 -0600

>? Would that explain why there is no R aspherical lens up to now ?

The 35-70 f/4 is an aspherical lens. But I think you're on the right track.
Aspherical lenses are difficult to make in bigger sizes. But Canon does it.
And I bet it won't be too long after the M version is released that a 90
Summicron APO ASPH comes out.

And the 19 Elmarit R proves you don't need an aspherical element to make
great lenses. As I think Erwin has said, an Aspherical lens aren't a
cure-all for aberrations. But I suspect the R system wide angles will be
getting them here and there as they update the wide angle lenses. Which
seem to me to be coming due since the M system is pretty much updated.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

You're only young once; you can be immature forever.