Subject: Re: [Leica] weird lens
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 19:23:00 EST

Isaac, the 2" f2 lens comes from a Vinten aerial camera. It is a British made
aerial camera and the lens is designed to cover 120/70 mm film. The backfocus
of the lens is very close to the filmplane and it cant be modified for use on
a M or-Flex, which is too bad as it is a very good lens. I had one (the whole
camera — weighs at least 12 kg) and took it apart to try to retrofit the lens
on my SL. Turned out it would require some major surgery to the lensmount and
also the removal of the mirror. Common sense prevailed and I gave the whole
thing to a Leica collector/friend. Nice piece of glass though — you could
probably mount it in a Graflex XL or an older Speed Graphic 21/4x 31/4 and use
the focal plane shutter.
Tom A