Subject: Re: [Leica] weird lens
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:06:05 EST

Marc, I cant find the notes I made on the ELCAN 2"/f2. probably threw them out
after I got rid of the camera. If I remember right it was very close to the
filmplane — 14-16mm or so. The Vinten aerial with the ELCAN 2" lens was a
"movie" style camera. The film was moved past a gate in a continuos motion. It
had a slit shutter, a 24 volt drive and plenty of other military designs
(including 70mm spooled film in interchangeable cassettes). Also had an
'electronic eye" exposure system which controlled the aperture. Focus was set
at infinity of course. There is also supposed to be a Vinten aerial camera
made with a 35/2 lens, very complex lens design (8-9 elements) covering
120/70mm and this lens supposedly can be retrofitted onto a M-body or, today
on to a Hasselblad Xpan body! Maybe some UK based LUGger can steer us towards
one of these. The Vinten I bought cost me about $150 and it was military
surplus in UK.
Tom A