Subject: Re: [Leica] Variable Contrast CLH
From: bfranson@greennet.net (Bill Franson)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 23:48:20 -0500

>At 08:02 AM 1/27/99 +0500, you wrote:
	I have used the Zone VI VC cold light head with the Zone VI Compensating
>Enlarger Timer and have experienced absolutely none of the problems that
>Bill experienced.  I am not sure what the difference was in our setups but
>I certainly do not go through a warm up period before each exposure.  All
>exposures are identical with no lamp head drift and when making multiple
>prints all are identical.  Perhaps the timer makes the difference.

Very interesting Ian. And perplexing. Zone VI and Calumet continue to
submit that no special timer is required for the VC head. So presumably you
do not need the Compensating timer. Indeed, the Compensating timer was
designed to "read" the brightness output of one lamp, not two.

>I certainly do not go through a warm up period before each exposure.

I went through two heads and had the same problem of having to wait for the
green ready light.

In light of these discussions, and differing experiences, I suggest that
anyone interested in the Zone VI VC head call or e-mail them with
questions. Ask specifically about timers and printing proceedures, perhaps
electrical service requirements. But if I had $1000 burning a hole in my
pocket I would put it toward a Summicron.

Bill Franson