Subject: Re: [Leica] Velvia or ASTIA
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:35:16 -0800

Gab,
Goodness, no!!!!

For people I would recommend an old standby: EPP.  It is wonderful,
smooth, not so sharp in just the right way to help skin.  the Astia is
too cold for me and washed out.  Just my experience--I hated the pix
shot with them (and I was looking as some last evening).  Also, the
Normans are notoriously cold (like my Balcars) and are usually helped by
warming gels, like at least a 1/8CTO Rosco.  A bit of testing will help
and/or rent a color temperature meter for a day and do a test and chart
it for various capacitor bank combinations and reflectors/umbies.  As
for the "boring" I would consider changing the light angles, rather than
depending on the Velvia saturation, to get more intensity.

donal

RFMGabe@aol.com wrote:

> I've just begun taking portraits, nudes, bodyscapes with my Leica M4-P and my
> 3 lenses (35, 50, 90). I'm using a Norman studio flash generally shot into a
> white umbrella. I've used Kodak Elite chrome select series (ASA 100),
> Fujichrome Velvia and Fujichrome ASTIA.
>         The elite looks natural but boring. The Velvia is really rather striking
> altho the face color is a bit ruddy. The ASTIA has a smooth glow to it, but
> also a slight magenta cast. Of the 3 chromes, I'm leaning to Velvia. It really
> is a different chrome to say the least.
>         Does anyone use Velvia for flesh tones (especially with a studio flash).
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego
http://www.donalphilby.com