Subject: [Leica] Slow delivery of LUG digest
From: pieter@world.std.com (Pieter Bras)
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 13:42:27 -0500

Has anyone else noticed that the new-format LUG digests (with the
summary at the beginning) which began in October (with v04.n001) have
all been sent with a "Priority:  bulk" indication in the email header?
Previously, digests had been sent with a "Priority:  normal" indication.

It does make a difference:  the median transit time from the LUG list
server to my ISP in Boston is now about an hour, whereas it used to be
just a few *seconds* with the normal priority.  Note:  if I currently
wish to download a digest (with the majordomo "get" command) then it is
sent with default, i.e. normal priority and the transit time is still
only a few seconds.

If the median transit across the USA is an hour (sometimes much worse),
I wonder how well the overseas digest subscribers a doing.

And since the junk email that arrives in my mailbox doesn't get sent
with "bulk" priority, why should the LUG digest be giving deference to
the spammers?

Brian, could you please reconfigure the list server to send LUG digests
with "normal" priority?  Thanks in advance.

- --
Pieter Bras