Subject: Re: [Leica] Enlarging lens
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 06:17:26 +0000

>I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the 50mm APO Rodenstock enlarging
>lens. It is the best enlarging lenses I've used and it cost only $360.00,
>used. It produces great images, and is at a level of quality that would be
>difficult to significantly surpass at any price.
>SincStephensonerely,
>Joe

I have the 50 EL-Nikkor, 50 Elmar and 50 Apo-Rodagon enlarging lenses.  I
did a darkroom comparison once with all three and printed a pic of an
elderly lady's portrait which has a mix of bright backlights and dark
shadows.  The original pic was taken with a 50 Summilux-M.

The Apo is easily seen as the sharpest and has good shadow details.  Every
one of the lady's hair that should be seen is there to see.  Microcontrast
is excellent.

The Nikkor and the Elmar are a close fight for second place until close
scrunity reveals a tad better micro-contrast with the Elmar. This was
confirmed by a friend who did not know which lens was used to print which
picture - a crude sort of single-blind study.

I think the Apo quality helps in B&W work as well although this advantage
may not be so apparent as in colour which I have no experience with.

I still have all three but hardly use the latter two for enlarging.

Dan K.