Subject: [Leica] Cosina 15mm
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@netscape.net>
Date: 2 Feb 99 11:43:54 JST

Mikiro M <arbos@iname.com> wrote:

> At 6:57 AM +0100 99.2.1, Ken Iisaka wrote:
> >The lens is here. I have one mounted on my M3, right here on my desk now.
> snip---
>
> Ken,  I have several questions.
>
> 1. Does the M6 metering work with this lens?

Probably.  The rear element of protrudes almost as much as the non-retrofocus
Elmarit 28mm, but not as much as the SA 21mm.  We could not mount it on CL, so
presumably could not be used on M5, either.

> 2. What is the lens construct like? Completely different from Hologon?

It appears to be a mild retrofocus design, a la Elmarit 21mm.  It is well
built, though not to the Leica quality.

> 3. What is a Bessa-L like?  Nothing more than a FM10/OM2000 in terms of feel
> and finish?

It does really look like a FM10/OM2000/Ricoh with the pentaprism chopped off.
Same controls, etc, which means very good, and certainly more than capable.

> 4. Any comments on a 25 mm lens (which I am more interested in purchasing)?

I have not yet seen the 25mm anywhere.  I would suspect that 25mm will not
sell as well as the 15mm.

pcb@iac.co.jp (Paul C. Brodek) wrote:

> Ken, you dog!  :-}

Wan, wan, kyan, kyan...  ;)

> I rushed out this morning to see if any were in windows, and saw a few
> Bessa-L bodies and 15mm Heliars but no 25mm Skopars.  Have you heard
> when the Skopar will be available?

I have not yet seen it around Tokyo either.

> Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to fondle the Bessa-L or 15mm
> today, and my photo equipment budget for the next few weeks is likely
> to go towards tripods and heads.
>
> I saw a used Contax G-mount Hologon last month for 150,000 yen and was
> thinking about getting it.  I decided not to, and soon after heard
> about the Heliar.  Glad I waited.....

I have friends who have the G Hologon, and will do some informal comparisons.

> Let us know how your prints look!  Hope you have fun with it!

I will scan some negs and will post 'em on the web later.

Cheers,