Subject: Re: [Leica] 90mm
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 21:25:54 -0500

At 11:38 PM 1999-02-01 +0000, Christer Almqvist wrote:
>As my Leica dealer once said: "All Leica lenses are good enough
>for most of us, and do not beleive that later versions are always better
>than earlier ones; many changes have been made to reduce manufacturing
>costs."   (..... and to increase selling prices at the same time???)

I used to say the same.  And then I started READING what Erwin Puts was
writing and realized, egg on my face and a blush on my youthful cheeks,
that I was wrong!

Newer lenses are better.  I have proof:  a 3.4/135 APO-Televid and a 2.8/90
Elmarit.  I will buy the 2/90 APO ASPH as soon as it appears.  Newer lenses
ARE better, and, yes, the difference is noticeable, even to slum-gully
photogs like me and thee.  Jim Brick and Ted Grant and Eric Welch and Tina
Manley will see a REAL difference but even the likes of us will note the
difference.

Buy new.  Enjoy the old, but, for REAL quality, buy new.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!