Subject: Re: [Leica] FILM
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 08:27:36 -0500

At 10:54 +0000 02/02/99, Wood, Darrell (London) wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> Which B&W and Colour slide  film would people recommend to take to
> Belize/Mexcio in March 1999.
> I would be concerned about fast B&W as I will be going through customs 8
> times.
Allo Mr Wood,
	Sounds like Oaxaca (Monte Alban) and Tikal...
	PHABULOUS !

	FILMS ?

	1/ Fuji Superia CS Reala 100 as basic choice for colour prints,
	if shades of green are prominent, skin tones,
	it's peerless. Resolution is quite high.
	Versus Kodak Vericolor III 160,
	if you enjoy more saturated color, and
	want accurate skin tones with archivalness.
2/ Kodachrome 64 (or Velvia if you prefer intense color)
	for "basic" "natural colour" diapo film.
	For the greens, the reds..., nonesuch archivalness.
	Some may prefer Ektachrome E100SW...
	or the older ISO 64 daylight, still available
	in some countries.
3/ Fuji Superia CZ 800 Super G Plus for low light / "action"
	colour prints, preferably.
	Kodak PMZ 1000 if the above is not available.
	Grain is not all that bad. Colour is very good.
	Parhaps a test roll before you leave ?
4/ Ilford Delta 100 Pro or Agfa APX-25 for B&W,
	depending on your "project". Orange filter ?
	Kodak C400N ???
	Kodak Infra Red ???

	Make SURE you don't miss the zocalo (center town
park) in Oaxaca, various hours of the day,
and the very beautiful cathedral there (and the torture
devices used to "convert" the indians, in their unique museum).
This is considered the "birth city" of Mexico
and is real beautiful.
Important segment of the population is extra poor
and live in homes made from advertising boards and
whatnot: be discrete... Bring dinero: US$ 1.oo bills,
not metal change, useless there: use wisely.
	The scenery in the Mexico/Puebla -- Oaxaca
axis is astounding, with hundreds of extremely sharp hills,
volcanic probably. Unique scenery, otherworldly.
Bus travel is almost frightening, with sharp thousand foot cliffs,
even the "primera" first class busses.

	The light is quite fabulous in these parts of the World:
l-o-t-s of colour... tons of shades of green, extreme colors
in Guatemala' indigenous population. (Tikal is about 1 - 1 1/2 hour
bus away from Belize's border).... I can't believe you'd
forego that high point of human history. Air service to Tikal
is available but from Guatemala City. You'll flip on the
"natural" acoustics in Tikal: i could VERY distinctly hear people
chatting on the high priest's platform while sitting about
midway between the two major pyramids there: unique experience.
	In Belize, it may be wise to hire a guide for
your convenience and safety. Most Belize people are very, very
good, but some strays can be a problem if not careful (sorry
but true). Some parts of the country are postcard class
and it's in FULL BLOOM right about this time of year;
will get extra hot by March.
	In Belize City, they make souvenirs from the bones
of fish and shells: not quaint. In Orange Walk, beware what
you smoke... Merida is not far, another beautiful spot:
some hotels have rooftop "bedrooms"... and private walled
flowered gardens: felt like a movie: with lots of photo op
potential, keeping an open eye for the "romantic" Mexico.
Cancoun, too. About one hour jet to Miami International.
Or you may prefer to hop on a cruise ship and extend
your privilege: Norwegian Cruise Lines sail from there.
	Darn lucky dog.

	Andre Jean Quintal

	PS: Do you need a camera caddy ?   ;+>)

   "Only when it's dark enough