Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: WOW..in 50 years.. thanks BD (long)
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 08:22:27 +0100

Jim,

The issue here is not really "to capture as much, and as fine, detail as
Leica and Kodachrome 25" IMHO. The issue is to ponder at which stage the
molecular level recording ability of film will not be recognized by the
market as enough of a reason to maintain a chemical process in an
otherwise totally digital workflow.

I could make the analogy with Super8 against VCR. Up till the most
recent video recording generations, the Super8 film remained largely
superior to tape regarding pure imaging qualities. And only now are some
TV screens capable of competing with a projection screen. Nevertheless,
Super8 died extremely fast as a mainstream medium as soon as VCR reached
a certain ratio of performance/convenience/price. Only a very small
niche of die hard fanatics keep (or kept) on using Super8. Things are of
course different in the very high end of the moving picture market (35mm
and 70mm).

So, I do agree with you that digital is a long way from providing what
you call the Leica/K25 level of quality. But that does not mean you and
I will necessarily still be shooting mainly film in 10 (?) years time.
Maybe we will use it for nostalgy or for giant enlargements. But, if we
satisfy ourselves already today with inkjet prints and Photoshop
tweaking, and enjoy web pages, we will ALL be very tempted to forget
about film when a certain number of conditions, not yet there for our
applications but already there for many other applications, are met on
the digital front.

BTW, I'm sure there will be a Leica/digital level of quality that will
be sold as visibly superior to others. High quality digital capture will
need high quality glass.

Alan.