Subject: RE: [Leica] Buying R8,need advice on lenses conclusion
From: "B. D. Colen" <BDColen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 11:07:14 -0500

>Is this a joke? The R8 is a superb camera, perhaps the best SLR
> ever made.
> I keep hearing how some people have had problems with some of them, well I
> own 1, and used 2 different ones at work (I use them exclusively
> there), and
> not one of them has a single problem since purchased.
> But please..... comparing the F4 to the R8......Well whats next
> comparing an
> 88 Accord with a brand new Mercedes?

Are we ever going to get beyond this kind of stuff on this list:
There is absolutely no question that the M is the world's best rangefinder
35. Period. No arguement.

But folks of goodwill can certainly disagree about where the R8 fits in a
quite crowded field of professional level SLRs. Are the optics THE BEST when
measured by the Putts standards? If Erwin says they are, I believe him.

But the body? I played with one at a dealer recently and I have to say I was
seriously unimpressed. Yes, the ergonomics are..."interesting..." However,
the camera had a "cheap" feel to it when compared to the F5, F4 or even the
F3. Were the body $800, I'd say, great...but I'd suggest that the prices
being asked are rediculous for a non-auto focus camera with good, but hardly
state-of-the-art metering, flash, motor-drive, and accessories available.

For those who love the R8, enjoy. God knows the people on this list such as
Ted, Eric, who are true believers, turn out work to rival any produced
anywhere, with any camera.

But can't we just leave it at saying that if you want Leica optics on an
SLR, the R8 is the best camera you can buy, instead of denigrating those who
feel otherwise?

B. D.