Subject: Re: [Leica] Buying R8,need advice on lenses conclusion
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 18:06:52 +0100

B. D. Colen wrote:
>...snip...
> But can't we just leave it at saying that if you want Leica optics on an
> SLR, the R8 is the best camera you can buy, instead of denigrating those who
> feel otherwise?

It is not that there are many alternatives, are there ? Is the R6.2
still officialy produced? Judging from the Leica Fotographie
International 98 Special R issue, it would not seem to: the R6.2 is
listed among the former R bodies (R6/E/5 etc) and the only body
described in the issue is the R8. Even if the R6.2 still is listed in
the current Leica program catalogue.

So, the R8 could be the ONLY current camera for Leica R optics. Thus,
the best... ;-)

For the rest, I agree with you, BD, on most of the points you make.
Except I find that the R8 is a delightfuly built camera with the best
ergonomy I have encountered up to now in the modern SLR world. But the
price of the R system makes it a non-competing product in an extremely
competitive high tech market.

I have not yet been able to purchase a 2nd lens for the R8+100mm f2.8
combo I crazily bought in december, while i used to have a nice,
efficient, complete 'other brand' SLR system, which provided me with
crop after crop of nice images.... Building a R system with last
generation lenses is a slow process, reminiscent of gathering new M
lenses, but even more expensive. The Leica dealer even had to lend me a
50mm summicron to keep me happy ;-(

But I do really enjoy using the R8 more than any SLR I have owned
before. A matter of personal interaction with the design, materials,
balance and even the sounds of the system, very typical of Leica, not a
matter of any objective list of superior functionalities (except the
flashmeter) or even a matter of any mystical revelation regarding the
quality of the images. Alas, the Glow escapes me still ;-/

The F4S bought by the original poster is a nice option giving access to
the best of both Nikon's worlds with very limited loss of backward
compatibility, which would not really have been the case had he
purchased a F5. Who called the F4S the best MF Nikon ever ?

Alan