Subject: [Leica] Some tests on the Jobo
From: FBrunelle@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 11:13:34 EST

Luggers and Luggerettes,
I know some of you are thinking of buying a Jobo processor...so here are some
test results with my machine.  Bear in mind that I own the DuoLab which is a
bit different from the CPE2 and CPP2 in that the DuoLab is a continuous one
sided revolution process.  The other Jobo processors intermittently turn on
one side and then turn the other way.

Well, I always had some contrasty results with my black and white process.
The E6-3baths gives consistently great results with process times as
prescribed by the developer documentation but with B&W I always had lots of
contrast even with XTOL process times for rotary processors published in
Kodak's XTOL documentation.  After a phone call to Jobo, they told me to do a
5 minutes pre-wash with distilled water and then proceed with the published
times (hand inversion) as a starting point.

Well, I tested this with 2 test rolls of each: TriX/XTOL, PlusX/XTOL,
Delta100/Ultrafin Plus, Delta 400/Ultrafin Plus, TMax100/TMax Dev and
HP5/UltraFin Plus at published rated speeds.  I timed the process at hand
inversion published times (adjusted for 75 degrees F -according to Ilford's
temp conversion table found in their Product Data Guide Cat# 16794- because I
temper all my B&W chemistries at that temperature) - 5%.  As an example: Delta
100 with UltraFin Plus

5 minutes distilled water pre-wash at tempered at 75 degrees
4:30 minutes developing at 75 degrees (published  minutes adjusted to 5
minutes (from 68 degrees to 75 degrees) -5%=4:45 minutes - 15 seconds emptying
time)
30 seconds distilled water tempered at 75 degrees for stopping purpose
4:15 minutes fixing (4:30 minutes - 15 seconds emptying time) at 75 degrees
1 minute washing tap water
1 minute HypoClear
1 minute final wash tap water
1 minute Kodak PhotoFlo at room temperature
Dry

I am very happy with the results.  The negatives show quite normal contrast
and usual sharpness/tone per film type.  Just thought I would share this with
you.

Francois Brunelle
Ashburn VA