Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: RE: WOW..in 50 years.. thanks BD (long)
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 14:02:59 +0100

Alan,

Maybe you are right, but I still think that the fact that for instance magazines and
newspapers still exist in paper form (when one could argue that it would be more
sensible to distribute them electronically only) shows that the old and new
technologies can exist side by side. The examples you mention, like CD vs. vinyl, are
to me a bit different because there the superiority of the new technology in terms of
all relevant factors (quality, convenience etc.) was so overwhelming that it was no
contest. With magazines, each form has advantages and disadvantages: electronic
magazines are more environmentally  friendly, searchable etc., but I cannot imagine
sitting in the toilet in the morning with a laptop computer and internet connection
instead of my newspaper ;-)

Kind regards,

Nathan

Alan Ball wrote:

> Nathan,
>
> The book/CD analogy is not functional here IMHO. I think the Super8/VCR
> analogy is more instructive for us. Or the CD/vinyl analogy. Or the
> horse/motor analogy. Or the snail mail/e-mail analogy, etc, etc.
>
> The paperless home and office is not here (yet) because, for various
> reasons, it is not (yet) as practical to study large amounts of
> information on screen as it is to read them on paper. Nevertheless, in
> loads of fields, digital storage devices have already replaced paper and
> micro-film. Depends on the function. The 2 media (paper and digital) do
> not always cover the same functional needs. Digital generates millions
> of tons of paper. Even digital photo cameras generate paper...
>
> Inversely, the digital photo camera and the film photo camera aim to
> cover exactly the same functional needs.
>
> Regarding the MF v. 35mm analogy, it replicates in the digital world
> between the super dense high res digital back CCD and the compact
> digital photocamera.
>
> Alan

- --
Nathan Wajsman